Pie Crust Recipe
Yield: 2 pie crusts
Prep Time: 15 minutes + 1-hour chilling
2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
½ tsp. fine sea salt
20 Tbsp. unsalted butter, cold and cut into cubes
6-8 Tbsp. ice water, as needed
- In a bowl, add flour and salt. Add butter and using the Tovolo Pastry Blender, cut in butter until the mixture forms lima bean-size pieces. Slowly add ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time, and mix with your hands until the dough just comes together. It should be moist, but not wet.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly-floured Tovolo Pastry Mat and gather into a ball. Flatten into a disk with the heel of your hand. Cut dough into 2 equal parts with the Tovolo Bench Scraper. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour and up to 2 days.
Strawberry Pie Filling Recipe
Yield: One 10” Pie
Prep time: 20 minutes + 45 minutes baking time
5-6 cups fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced in half
Optional: ½ cup other berries
½ cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup lightly packed brown sugar
1/3 cup cornstarch
Large pinch of salt
2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
2 Tbsp. white or rosé wine
Heaping ¼ tsp. ground ginger
1 large egg, beaten
Granulated sugar for topping the unbaked pie
- To make the filling, in a medium bowl toss together strawberries, sugars, cornstarch, salt, lemon juice, wine, and ground ginger. Toss until all of the cornstarch has disappeared into the strawberries and let rest for 10 minutes. The strawberries will begin to produce juice.
Spoon filling into pie crust.
- Roll out the top crust, cut to your preferred design, and add on top of the strawberries.
- To finish, place a rack in the center of the oven and preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with a Tovolo Silicone Baking Mat and set aside.
- Brush the egg wash over top pie crust, then sprinkle with sugar.
- Place pie on baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes at 400°F, then reduce the temperature to 350°F and bake the pie for 30 minutes more, or until the crust is golden and the filling is bubbling. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely before serving.